Sunday, March 23, 2008

Things I found on a Sunday morning . . .

Pizem decked six times from the first crux, about 12 feet off the ground, when gear ripped out. “The landing is very soft in fine-grained sand,” he said, “and I made a point of making sure that the rocks had been moved after my first fall. I debated on adding a bolt to prevent the cam from blowing, but decided that I should just stop falling there.”

-climbing.com-
I like this quote; I think that it applies to a lot of different difficult scenarios.



"The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner"

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

-Randall Jarrell-

This was a poem referred to in the comic strip Frazz today, the 23rd. If you do not read this strip, you should start. I am a big fan of the disillusioned soldier; mainly because I cannot believe that there exists any other kind.

*For more, see also:
  1. All Quiet on the Western Front- Erich Maria Remarque
  2. "The Sniper"- Liam O'Flaherty
  3. "Dulce Decorum Est"- Wilfred Owen
  4. "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"- The Pogues

7 comments:

Adam said...

Hey bro! Sorry I missed you on Scype the other day. I like the quote from climbing.com... I was laughing so hard when I read that.
Anyway, wish you were here. Been climbing some beautiful routes at the Promised Land. I'll try to post some pics sometime.

Peace.

bobbi said...

Hey Ian! I miss you so much and think of you every time I'm at the gym. I hope you are having an increadible time. I bet it's so beautiful there. Do you like teaching in a different continent? I hope you find some place to climb soon. Well have fun in Greece. Keep in touch.

-Bobbi Munk

Unknown said...

These poems are wonderful... I'm glad to hear you're surrounded by exciting people, that's a nice heap to be in the middle of...

And you will be climbing harder than you ever have in no time when you get to some rock!

"take whatever comes, with great trust, and as long as it comes out of your will, out of some need of your innermost self, then take it upon yourself, and don't hate anything." -Rilke

Sarah said...

It was so awesome to SEE you yesterday! Can't wait to see you again soon!

Anonymous said...

You would like "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo as well. It's similar to the ones you listed, and a quick read. It's pretty graphic, but amazing.

Hope you're having fun!

-Taylor

Karen and Pat said...

looked for you on skype this afternoon but it was late when i got home. i wanted to tell you about an ian that i have in class this year - he thinks he had you for swimming lessons. i actually had a note from his mother saying how much she liked you! (no comment on his f in science...)hope your week is going well. love you.

Brendan McDonald said...

Hey Ian,

Things sound good over there. Starting to warm up in Boulder and climbing outside a lot. Keep the posts coming, we all like knowing your alive.

Peace,
Brendan